CJI is seeking an Operations and Program Associate!
Job Summary: The Criminal Justice Initiative (CJI) has an immediate opening for an Operations and Program Associate to handle all organizational administrative tasks and assist leadership as needed. Must be organized, committed, compassionate, and unflappable with strong computer literacy and communication skills. This is an ideal position for someone with a passion for criminal justice organizing and/or non-traditional philanthropy, who delights in administrative details and will get the job done! Position is part-time (20 hours per week). Compensation is $21,000 a year.
Organizational Overview: The Criminal Justice Initiative (www.criminaljusticeinitiative.org) is a small (but growing), creative and accountable funding organization poised to play a large role as a funder of the movement for justice and safety from mass criminalization and state-sanctioned violence.
We are a grant making panel comprised of donors, donor-activists, and community organizers, who share authority and a passion for supporting meaningful, systemic change in the criminal justice system. Begun in 2000, CJI was born out of a growing concern with prison expansion, hyper-incarceration and its disproportionate impact on marginalized communities. CJI’s mission is to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States. We seek to do this by identifying, funding, and nurturing grassroots activism led by those most impacted by the criminal justice system. Each year we raise funds, engage in political education to determine a grant making focus, put out a call for proposals, evaluate them and make grants.
- Previous experience with a wide variety of administrative tasks—in a social justice organization and/or philanthropy context preferred
- Strong administrative, computing, and software skills; including but not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Drive, Outlook, database management, webinar and video conference platforms, website management, and social media
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Experience and previous success working in truly diverse communities
- Ability to be self-directed/motivated and work alone
- Ability work well in a group and be a team player
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Connect a plus!
- Driver’s license or willingness to get a driver’s license within 6 months preferred
Operations and Program Associate is responsible for all administrative and logistical tasks related to CJI’s functioning, including:
- Being the primary administrative and logistical contact for circle members, donors, potential donors, grantees and applicants
- Responsibility for and communication of all scheduling and logistical elements related to bi-annual circle meetings including: travel and hotel arrangements, food, necessary documents, note taking, and meeting site management
- Managing CJI’s office including: database, calendars, keeping track of expenditures, scheduling calls and appointments, buying supplies, filing, maintaining records, addressing technical challenges and providing support as needed to other staff
- Managing CJI’s website and social media presence
- Managing logistical/administrative aspects of the grant application process including: communicating with prospective applicants, confirming receipt of all required materials and requesting additional material if necessary, organizing application information for review by circle members and ensuring access to materials
- Providing administrative/logistical support for fundraising events and mailings
- Organizing data and conducting research as needed
- Managing CJI intern(s)
Preference will be given to qualified applicants who have experienced incarceration, detention, or state sponsored violence. People of color, queer and transgender people, immigrants and/or people from communities targeted by law enforcement are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to CJI@solidago.org by Tuesday, September 8th. No phone calls please.